Sunday, January 13, 2013


Defending the indefensible

The other day one of my newbie twenty something clients popped this rather
unusual or irritating ( depending on which way you see it) remark ...along
the following lines...How can you expect me to trade if you are not going to tell me the exact price to buy and when exactly to sell and at what price,telling me which counter to watch out for is insufficient,after all
that is why you charge a commission (brokerage ) ...After I pointed out the usual rules of engagement, eg risk appetite, affordability, he became sullen and distant ,as if some great injustice had been inflicted...Feeling
somewhat bad ,I switched to some more upbeat topic and silently hope that this young man will "grow" and
eventually mature into someone who will not blame society for everything...I am inclined to believe this peculiar behaviour of his may be traced to the so called "Gen Y " upbringing of which we ,the "baby boomer
parents are to be blamed...From parents who rightly or wrongly defend the actions of their children at all cost to helicopter parents who accompany their child to job interviews to sending
their pampered sons for weekly facials some of us parents could be doing great harm to their self development and personality.,..A simple chit chat session among my peers would inevitably include "horror" stories about boys and girls from the late teens to even late twenties or thirties ( some married with kids of
their own ) who are incapable of even addressing the more elderly a simple "uncle or auntie"..a smile or a even a "hi' may seem generous at times...in a extended family get together including my own ,these youngsters seemingly love to stay incognito ,burying their eyes on the latest electronic toys ( I phones,pads )
with little or no regard to the ongoing conversations...one can actually find it tiresome trying to engage them in small talk..some parents even go to the extent of answering questions on their behalf ..or inviting guests for a lunch or dinner on their behalf so much so that that the invitee will not know who is actually giving the treat,parent or their child...Some of my peers ( fortunately ) share my beliefs that at the end of the day ,we should still take pride with the old fashioned and the timeless but priceless teachings of our parents ..basic good manners, respecting others and giving and sharing as opposed to just taking are as important if not even more important than the straight As and high paying job one could aspire to achieve...respect is mutual and the world does not owe anyone a living..Just this afternoon,in a family get together,my brother actually passed some well meaning advice to one of my nephews(an only son ) who is married and works in the UK to consider coming back to work in Malaysia as he would then be able to be with his parents who have literally dedicated their entire lives giving their very best and sending him for a complete overseas education,His dad ,ie my brother in law is an extremely filial son who despite his own advancing years still takes care of his mother .It pains some of us to watch such "unfairness " and out of diplomacy and respect for my brother in law ,most of us just kept quiet rather than voicing our unanimous agreement on this issue...On a personal level I feel proud as a parent when a third party
sings praises about my son or daughter having impeccable manners ,self respect and respect for others,young and old regardless of their standing in society..


Have a nice weekend...












No comments:

Post a Comment