Wednesday, December 19, 2012



High Anxiety...


Like most parents ,I was more stressed out than usual,not so much due to the share market
activities but the anxiety of waiting for the release of the PMR results..The funny thing is ,we
as parents may not be too concerned with the actual performance of our child,after all it is
just a relatively junior examination with little bearing on career prospects,,,I for one was actually
more worried about the impact of the possibility of "less than perfect" results on my child...the peer
pressure thingy which can affect a young mind...Luckily as it turned out my fears were unfounded and
all turned out well...It did set me thinking though,why do the current society expect every child to go for
straight As ...even an A short can be deemed a failure to some parents and their child...being a "baby
boomer  generation "child, I remember things were so much simpler then ..I do not remember my parents
engaging in conversations about As or stuff like that..most of my friends may be competitive in games but
comparing As were never in the horizon...that said,during those days securing an A did give an immense
sense of pride as everyone knew it did not come easy...in fact I remember securing just an A2 for my
LCE ( as the PMR was known then ) instead of an A1 because I had 2 errors out of the 50 objective
questions ...my friends who had perfect score or only one error scored an A1...nevertheless we always
felt really good scoring an A...guess times have really changed...

With the results all done with..lets hope these young minds regardless of their performance will move
forward with enthusiasm and we parents enjoy the ride together with them..

No comments:

Post a Comment